Saturday, November 26, 2016

Dancing with Mets....



In January of 2008 I was diagnosed with Stage 2 invasive breast cancer at the young age of 30.  My children were 4 and 7 at the time.  I underwent a double mastectomy and 4 months of chemo therapy.  The time flew by, I tolerated the treatments well and my kids did great. 

Fast forward through, a full time career, beach days, ski trips, vacations, busy kids and sporting events to October 2016 age 39.... So close to the 9 year cancer free anniversary. So close that some days I forgot I ever had breast cancer.

I saw my family care doctor mid October for kidney stone symptoms, she ordered a CT scan to see if they existed.  As I took the call from the nurse a few days later, she mentioned the scan picked up 2 stones that I should pass easily on my own, then she followed it up by, it also picked up some suspicious spots on your right lung and we would like you to see your oncologist ASAP for a PET scan.....  As my jaw dropped to the floor, I was speechless.  I wasn't expecting that call, I felt great, it had been 9 years. "NO NOT ME and NOT METS", I thought to myself. For those of you who don't know, metastatic breast cancer is the only breast cancer that kills. There is no cure. 

Within the same week I saw my oncologist, had a PET scan. and received a call that confirmed the CT scan and PET scan both show the same areas of concern, for metastatic breast cancer on my right lung. 

Then the waiting began..... What was really just a few shorts weeks felt like years. Years of tears, anxiety, worry, sleepless nights and many prayers. November 22nd I had a biopsy at the University of Michigan that confirmed my breast cancer has spread to the outside of my right lung. This is considered metastatic stage 4 cancer.  While stage 4 cancer is devastating we have several options for treatment.  We head back to the University on Tuesday,  we will work with my oncology team and develop a plan of attack. 

While our life will never be the same and our family adjusts to the new normal,  we will learn to live and thrive with stage 4 breast cancer. 

18 comments:

  1. Chrissy, you are in my thoughts and prayers. Stay strong my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH MY WORD...I DIDN'T KNWOW Al and I will put you on our prayer list and the Marian prayer line.
    M.J. and Al Stewart

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chris, I am not sure what to say. I will be praying for you constantly, and for your doctors to make the best choices. You are a warrior and a true fighter. You can beat this. Take care of yourself, and know that you have many, many people praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sending you much love and many prayers. What beauties you both are! God breathe your perfect healing into this precious woman.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Praying for you to have strength during this difficult time and that God grants you complete healing. I will also pray for strength for your family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Praying for you and your family. You are such a strong , caring and amazing person. May God walk with you through this journey!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Praying for you and your family through all of this. My heart is with you all, I'm so sorry. Continued prayers for healing & strength. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Praying for you and your family through all of this. My heart is with you all, I'm so sorry. Continued prayers for healing & strength. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Praying, praying, praying! Praying for God's strength, peace, and healing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Praying for cancer's defeat in you once again.Thanking God for the strength and healing He is giving you. We lift you up Chris with our prayers. God hears us and will answer when more than one are gathered in prayer. Keep holding on to His promise.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Praying for cancer's defeat in you once again.Thanking God for the strength and healing He is giving you. We lift you up Chris with our prayers. God hears us and will answer when more than one are gathered in prayer. Keep holding on to His promise.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So very sorry to hear about the return of cancer. I will pray for you and your family. May God go with you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Chris, I'm shocked and saddened....But, seeing that beautiful smile on your face Thursday night, and reading this powerful post, I know you have the right attitude and so many prayers and love pouring in from those responding on here... that you will indeed THRIVE, even with this news. My prayers will be added to the others, and so will my families. Keep up the good attitude and thrive sweetie❤️ You are awesome inside and out. God Bless You. JoAnne

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am so sorry to have read this Chris..will be thinking of you and the entire family....payers to you all

    ReplyDelete
  15. Keeping you and your family in our thoughts and prayers each and every day.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am so sorry. My heart goes out to you and your family. Gorgeous picture! Prayers. You are young and strong - keep fighting.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Praying for you Chris.....as you fight this beast...God bless you....

    ReplyDelete
  18. A prayer to my dear friend- Lord bless this woman, you have the power to heal her lord. Father god I pray that you protect her children and heal them all lord. May your will be done, you know our hearts. Bless this woman and if it is your will you will provide healing lord. Thank you father god.

    ReplyDelete